Mt 20:20 'Then the mother of Zebadee's sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favour of him. "What is it you want?"he asked. She said "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in the kingdom."...... 'you do not know what you are asking'... said Jesus.
This scripture was read at church a few weeks ago, and three words in, I stopped listening! I didn't hear the rest of the message as my mind wandered to Mrs Zebadee.
It is not unusual for a mother to approach Jesus and ask for the best for her children. We do that, right?
But what was she really asking for?
Here we have a woman who supports her husband's business in the fishing industry. She would have prepared food daily and sent her boys to work with their father. Busy all day with chores, waiting for them to return from work to care or their needs. We don't know how many son's she had but we do know of two - James and John.
I think of what she witnessed over a period of three years. Her two boys, the apples of her eye, most likely were needing to work with their father to keep them out of trouble. One day they were called by a Rabbi to 'come follow me' and off they went.
Can you hear the mother’s heart in her question?
Perhaps over the last three years she wondered about the boys; were they warm? Well fed? Were they safe and where are they sleeping tonight?
Perhaps she was unsure about this Rabbi, he seems to have enemies, and there were conflicting rumours that were concerning.
Mr Zebadee lost two of his helpers, surely she saw the extra fatigue in her husband’s face as his workload grew and his hours increased.
So what was she asking Jesus for? Jesus had already provided more income to their family, perhaps in a way to compensate for the reduction in labour force, he gave them such a large catch that it would have generated finances for the family while the boys were away.
She asked Jesus for three things: position, protection and provision. Do we not ask the very same things of Jesus for our own children? I know I do, I hear it in my quiet plea’s for my children; keep them safe, may they follow you and please let them get that xxxxx (job, car, house, partner, health).
As a mother I make my requests known to the Lord all the time and yet my prayers are laced with fear for them, fear that the world may harm them or that their decisions may have adverse consequences. I, too, have a mother’s heart like Mrs Zebadee.
Lord Jesus, please protect my children, please keep them safe from the enemy and his world systems, please make them prosperous and please be close to them, for I know you love them more than I do.
May this insight be fruitful within you.
X Rebecca
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your encouragement......