Followers

Monday 4 November 2013

Oh dear.. not 'forgiveness' AGAIN!

Forgiveness... sigh.
The very word conjures up a fear of 'tackling the topic' and a resignation to the necessity of facing it.

I saw the topic heading last week and closed the book again with a sigh!
I decided I wouldn't do that until I was completely out of time, and then I could do it in a rush without having to put too much thought into it!! Haha - It doesn't really happen that way when you lead the study... Have you ever put something off because it seems too hard?

Today I stole a glance at the next lesson - now that is more like the study I WANT to do - 'Laying Aside Busyness and Running With Rest".. A timely topic after the heaviness of 'Forgiveness'.

I started it on Saturday, spending a couple of hours on the first two pages - what a challenge!
I did more on Sunday and finished it on Monday morning at 7am, just in time for our group fellowship.

We tackled:
                 The root of bitterness - And oh how deep those roots go! At times you don't even know that root is still there until your world is shaken a little  and BAM! There it is. J.B.Philips likens these roots to 'a poison that affects the lives of many others''. (Heb 12:15)
                 Putting off falsehood and speaking the truth to others, building them up  and getting rid of all bitterness, forgiving as Christ forgave us. (Eph 4:25-32)
                 Clothing ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and putting on love - to forgive all grievances as Christ forgave us.

I heard a visiting Paster say once that Forgiveness is allowing someone free passage through our mind without ill thought. I started to think about certain people and realised that when I consider them, I still have some speed bumps to deal with before I can allow them free passage...
Our study revealed (or highlighted should I say) a forgiveness that is nothing like what our human nature tries to do.
The forgiveness of Christ is instantaneous, second by second He is ready and willing to forgive us. He forgives and allows us free passage to the throne of the Father. Not only does He forgive freely, but He takes our shame and does not hold our crimes against us - because He cleaned us! 

On the contrary, we are offended and hold onto wrongs.. we share it with all our friends and when given the chance we tell people how wrong they were... (well I don't know about you, but I like to be real honest with my human nature). Holding on as opposed to letting go...dragging that behind me wherever I go - just to remind me how right I was and how wrong they are and and and....etc

Jesus, when falsely accused, remained silent, and for the joy set before Him endured the cross and took on it's shame. He did not throw slander back nor did He correct their false accusations, instead He prayed for 'His enemies' (though not really enemies). He did not hold on.. gone faster than how long it took to accuse..

I love the Lord and the example of His life for our living.
I had an 'Aha" moment when I realise that forgiveness is not about the other person, it is about me! Doing this free's me from holding onto pain and hurt.
Though a valuable lesson I have learnt just this week is that I do not own other people's wrestling.. if they have an issue with me then it is not always my fault and all I can do is pray for them. I/we are accountable for our own behaviour and wrong-doings, that we need to keep a clean slate between us and the Lord, AS DO OTHER PEOPLE, but they are none of our business and we are not to hold them accountable - we are to pray for them and put on love being kind and compassionate to them. If they would like to blame us for things, we should examine our heart before the Lord and be completely honest and open to the possibility that there may be some truth or no truth to the accusation, and move forward from there. 

Great lessons - I hope my 'rawness' encourages you to search your own heart.

I hope your cup is full to overflowing.. if not go deeper.

(For research for yourself - Eph 4:31-32; Heb 12:1-17; Lamentations 3; Eph 1:7-8; 1 Jn 1:9; Col 3:12-13; Lk 23:32-34)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouragement......