Followers

Sunday 6 October 2013

Only the Lord knows the heart of man...


Life has some amazing lessons to learn if we are open enough to be affected by them.

I have been doing some interesting reading on three of the tribes of Israel - the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half tribe of Manasseh, in the book of Joshua (Ch 22)
Human nature has not changed so much in a few thousand years.. It is far too easy to judge what we perceive to be other peoples motivations and actions, I have been the brunt of this many times. But the truth is, we all do it, none of us are exempt from the sin of judgement, though all of us have the self-control within to stop ourselves.
Bare with me while I share the insights I am learning.

History - In the book of Numbers Ch32, The Reubenites and Gadites ask Moses if they can have the the land they currently inhabit for their livestock, instead of crossing the Jordan into the promised land. Moses holds them accountable and basically says it would not be fair for them to sit here in this land while the other tribes have to clear out the promise land. They then commit themselves to helping the other tribes (vs 17) to receive their inheritance.

The book of Joshua now..

Chapter 22 is very interesting. Talk about judging a book by it's cover.. The heads of the tribes of Israel  did just that.
Vs 1 - the Reubenites, Gadites & the half tribe of Manasseh are now released by Joshua (vs 4), thanked for their obedience and committment and told to return home to their wives and families. They are reminded to remember the Lord their God and to obey His commands (vs 5) and sent off with a parting blessing (vs 6).

As they came to the edge of the Jordan river, they built an imposing alter (vs 10).
The Israelites heard about this alter and gathered together to go to war against them! (vs 11)
So the Israelites sent the priests son, 10 chief men - heads of the 10 tribes of Israel. (vs 13-14)

Look at verse 16 - they have jumped to a conclusion and basically accused them of breaking their faith and turning away from their God.
Vs 19 and 20 they are accused of building an alter for themselves and bringing wrath on the community of Israel.
Reuban, Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh then spoke......

I see everyday humans here.. so very much like us! They did what they were committed to do, what the Lord asked them to. They gave up of themselves and were judged for their actions.
Vs 21 - "God Knows!!" Of course God knows, He knows our hearts and judges what men don't see.
Vs 24 to 29 - they defend their actions, they state that they only built the alter to be a reminder for generations that they are a part of the tribes and helped conquer the promise land. The alter was not just for the Israelites, but also for their children and their children's children.
Vs 30-31 - When the priests son and 10 chief men heard their reply they basically said "ok, now we know and it's all good.".....

How very much like us - we perceive something one way, yet when we are told the circumstances, we seem to do the same - something like "Ahhhh! Now I understand.."
It is not for us to know the heart of another, God knows!
I love the verse in Ps 131:1 'I do not concern myself with matters too great for me or in reaching impossible goals.
Basically, next time you think a person is thinking or doing something that is not right.. try asking them instead of judging them, or perhaps pray about it and ask God to help you mind your own business (Thessalonians 4:11 ).

I was judged by my own Paster because I gathered a group of my friends around and we did an awesome weekly women's Bible Study. She actually talked about me in the group that she leads. If she had just come to me I would have shared with her, but instead it took a sister in the Lord to tell her to ask me directly. It was not long after this that the Lord encouraged me to read the whole book of Joshua where I discovered this insight. I am still working through my own offence and trusting the Lord to do what he does best.. but it has been a challenge. It is the Lords place to work in our lives, and as He is the one who sees the heart of men it is best to let Him do His perfect work.
Draw on this lesson, learn to ask questions before making bold statements and reaching your own conclusions.
There is something to be said for a circle of friends who draw you back to the cross where all these judgements should be laid.
I really enjoyed reading this book from beginning to end - set aside some time and read an entire letter in the Bible.. absolutely recommend it.
I pray that your cup is full to overflowing in the joy of the Lord.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouragement......