Followers

Friday 14 June 2013

The Prodigal Me???

I love it when the Lord pops a message in my head, from out of the blue - BAM - in a split second a whole sermon!

So in the famous words of my previous Pastor Barry, I have 10 x 'R"s for you!

Recall the story of the Prodigal Son - Have you read it? If you need a refresher then please read Luke 15:11-32 before you go any further.....

Two Sons, one Father. 
One Son did what he wanted to do and Regretted it.
One Son did what everyone else wanted him to do - what was expected of him and he later Resented it.

The first Son did what he wanted to do. 
He wanted the world and all it had to offer. Perhaps he had heard all the stories, perhaps he looked at his family and their way of life and decided it wasn't for him. Maybe he was sick of being asked to contribute to the family and he just wanted to grow his wings and fly away - sounds like a Rebellious teenager don't you think?
He Realised (vs 17) how foolish he had been and Repented (vs 18), he Returned (vs 20) home where his father Rejoiced (vs 22) in him and Reconciled (vs 24) him back to himself and his family. This made him more grateful and wiser.

The second Son did what everyone else wanted him to do  - what was expected of him.
He wanted the world but was never game to push for it (vs 29).
He Resented (vs 28) his own obligated obedience and all the attention his brother was receiving. He Rebelled (vs 29) , threw a tantrum and Rebuked (vs 30) his Father. However, his Father pleaded with him to be a part of the celebrations and see the life in the son who returned (vs 31).

The Father, not only rejoiced in both his children, but he reconciled them to himself with sin and without sin, proving His love for His creation.
One Son had to ask for forgiveness and Received love, the other Son felt righteous and justified in his attitude and Rejected love.

When it all boils down - which Son are we? Which son are you?

Sometimes I feel righteously proud and justified in my opinions... I believe this steals from me the joy of accepting Gods love and forgiveness and hinders me being reconciled to Him. Other times, I realise how wrong I have been and turn from my ways which in turn helps me to accept the Love of my Father in Heaven and realise how much I need him.

I am sure there are many ways to look at the Prodigal Son, but I am thankful that the Lord chose to show me that there is always a decision.
One Son decided he was wrong, the other decided he was right.

Matthew 5:45 (NLT)
In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For He gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.

Joshua 24:15

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.

Let me leave you with these words - Your choice.....
Jeremiah 6:16
“Stand at the crossroads and look;
    ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
    and you will find rest for your souls.
    But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.’

I hope you are feeling full! Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouragement......